Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Intro to Darkroom
NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!
A good follow up class to our 'Intro To Analogue Photography (Black and White)' but it is not essential to have previously completed it.
After a darkroom safety induction participants will learn and experiment with creative darkroom printing. Beginning the workshop with simple photograms participants will get an understanding of paper sensitivity and the chemical development process whilst exploring creative alternatives.
Once proficient with photograms we will move on to simple photographic printing from b+w negatives. Participants will learn about aperture on the enlarger, how to critically focus, choose an appropriate contrast filter and how to do a test print with various time values in order to determine exposure for the final print.
The workshop will go for 3 hours.
All materials (including photo paper) will be provided for the class but participants are encouraged to bring along their own b+w negatives if they have them. If not participants will be able to practice using negatives from our stock room.
- Simple black and white darkroom operations
- Experiment with photograms to understand light and paper sensitivity
- Introductory photographic printing from a negative
- The basic skillset to operate safely in a darkroom
- An opportunity to experiment with the medium outside of traditional printing
- The skills to print a photograph from a negative
- An introduction to the use of contrast filters and aperture to enhance the photograph
- Black and White negatives (if you have them)
- Apron (optional)
Casual clothes that you don't mind spilling developer on (it can stain)
We do not issue refunds on workshops if for any reason participants cannot attend on the day. We can, however, transfer participants into other workshops held at NOIR darkroom.
For special circumstances please contact email@example.com and we will do our best to work with you to resolve the issue.